I’ve just heard that this year is European Year of Creativity and Innovation, which is really wonderful. The objectives of the year can be found here: Goals of the Year
- Fostering creativity in all age groups via education.
- Maintaining engagement in adulthood.
- Cultural diversity as creativity.
- Expression through ICT.
- Ensuring the maths and sciences promote innovation.
- Developing innovation along with entrepreneurship.
- Innovation as a route to sustainability.
- Innovation in the public and private sectors.
I found out about it via the Arts Derbyshire Newletter, so I hope that it is being promoted widely. We, in the creative industries, find it very difficult to get across to “Joe Public” what we are about and why our products are not as cheap as on the High Street. If this engages the general public to take part in some form of creativity they may realise that we invest a huge amount of time in what we do. Lets also hope that creative engagement in schools will also generate a new level of understanding of creativity in the future.